March 15, 2010

first class nuisance

Today was beach day!! We headed the short 2 miles down to Honeymoon Island and spent the day on the beach and hiking.  We laid out for a bit and I fell asleep.  There is just something about the sound of waves that puts me out like a light.  It was pretty windy, so when we couldn't bare the wind anymore we decided to go for a hike on the nature trail.

I remember going on this trail with my dad a couple of times when I was younger but wasn't expecting much.  Most times the things you remember as a kid and remember all those years aren't as thrilling when you are an adult... so I didn't have high expectations.  We followed Osprey Trail and found the following...
first up, a bald eagle's nest!!!!  complete with a momma eagle and a baby eagle in it.  The state had put a fence around the nest so we couldn't get too close to it :-(  This isn't the greatest photo, but it's the best one I had.  I really need to invest in a hubungo lens.
we saw lots of Osprey and Osprey nests.  No joke, at least 15 nests... these are typically pretty rare and they were all over this island.. there must be something special about it.
Osprey building a new nest
a raccoon!! this little feller was definitely out of place
armadillo!!! these little guys let me get so close to him and he hardly noticed.  I got a snapshot of his face, but didn't have the setting on my camera right so it didn't turn out. buzzkill.
beautiful view, i could have stayed here all day


we were walking along the trail and another photographer called us over to show us an owl that had just picked up a snake for lunch.  If you look closely, you can see the owl eating the snake.  


here's a different shot of the same owl, shortly after he flew away with the snake dangling in his claws

tomorrow, brings the sun and a road trip to a Red Sox training game


No comments:

Post a Comment